Monday, August 14, 2006

The decisions we make

I think the last time I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up I was 5 - I saw a Sesame Street on being an Architect. I just knew that was for me.... I think there is still a big part of me that enjoys building and creating things...

I went to see "The Devil Wears Prada" tonight with a good friend of mine, and although it was not the earth shattering thought provoking movie you may think it is - it reminded me of a time when I had lofty dreams and goals, and that was OK.

It was the Summer of 1998, I had just become engaged and by the grace of God landed an internship with Goldman Sachs on Wall Street in New York, NY. A job a million girls (or guys for that matter) would kill for (see the movie connection....). I got to live my dream on not only going to NY, but living there for 3 whole months. I had paid for housing at Columbia University and was paid handsomely with company cars to drive me to business meetings. I soon learned how to navigate the subways, hail a cab and eat a slice of pizza in true NY style. I lived and breathed the city, going to plays, and clubs and local dive bars. I was having a great time and doing good work -anyones dream (hell I can't even run away to NY properly - I wold make a horrible starving artist)

When I came back from NY I had a big decision to make, do I go back to NY when I graduate or stay in NC? Then the closer I got to graduation I actually got two other job offers, one to work at The Baltimore Sun (ironically I'd be in that town a year later) and another to teach high school Graphic Arts. (We all know which one I took)

How can a 21-year-old make those decisions? I look at my brother who is at the same age - and can't imagine. Hell here I am pontificating about it and I'm not even that far removed from it. God help me when I read this 8 years from now.

But doesn't it scare you how one little, insignificant decision can change everything - can turn your whole world upside down to the point that you don't even recognize it.

I find it funny that I never second guessed going to NY ... it will always be perfect and summer in NY for me.

No comments: