Monday, August 20, 2007

Like Water

I read an interesting article this weekend. It was parentingesque - in that it asked, do we want to be individuals or fit in? How do we inspire creativity and individualism in our children without them being deemed weird? Or is it our goal just for them to be apart of something and fit in.

The author provided an anecdote from her childhood. She had gone to her mother complaining that she didn't fit in and wanted to be like everyone else. Her mother answered something to the effect of, "Why would you want to be plain and simple like water. Wouldn't you want to stand out. To be an individual is to stand out."

I'm so lucky that I was encouraged to stand out. As hard as it was growing up, it was so worth it in the end. I hope I can find that balance in my own children, but I will err on individuality...

No comments: